Monday 1 July 2013

Writers don't do Relax



Most writers I know are incapable of relaxing. The word relax isn’t even in their lexicon. Mention the word, shout if you like, and writers will gawp at you as if you’ve just suggested they run naked across the Nullabour.
Writers are always active. Either they’re writing, reading, or waiting anxiously to hear from their editor, agent, publisher or working at their day job.  And even the writers, who don’t have to hold down a paying job, are lively critters.  There is something in a writers DNA that inhibits relaxing – that something is the anxiety of getting published, getting good reviews, getting good book sales.  
Someone once mentioned the M word to me.  (Massage). Told me they were off to have a massage, I nearly puked.
Dear Writers - am I right? Or am I right?  Let me know if you’re incapable of relaxing. Please form an orderly queue.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Marlish, for such an interesting post. It raises issues important for anyone working in a creative area. Anxiety can cause a lot of problems and is often associated with other difficulties in life. I have fibromyalgia, goddamit! This means that I have spikes of anxiety for absolutely no reason at all! It goes with the condition, so I don't have to wait for writing and its associated issues to make me anxious. Seems a bit silly, really, but it's true. Now that I am thinking about this, I think writing seems to calm me down. Focus on memories and topics and words and phrases and technique seems to calm me down as I go into another world. Perhaps I will start to get really anxious when I try to become a published poet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, I never stop. Except to read Facebook or blogs, which usurp my time ... Better get back to the keyboard ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mixed feelings here. I am wound up frequently by all the things you mention. I have to work at it but if I do I can manage to relax, much to the benefit of both my writing and my mental and physical health. I have to confess, though, that I seem to have quite a few feline genes. Mention the 'M' word to me and far from puking I'll roll over and purr. Yes, please, bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Louise a.k.a. Karen, I think Mark Zuckerberg owes us writers. Due to two factors - a. having to work in solitary confinement any slither of human contact, is pounced upon, hence addiction to Facebook and blogs. b. Writers are expected to build up a social platform. Facebook, blog, twitter, you name it, we're expected to do it. Put on our tap shoes, and dance. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Dear Miss Nomadpoet, I'm not mentioning your name in order to protect the guilty party here. In fact I've even gone so far as to address you as Miss! Good to hear that you're managing, to an extent, to beat your anxieties into submission, even to the point of being susceptible to having a massage!!! Holy Smoke what next cat woman?
    P.S. I signed up for your blog!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that's blown my hopes out the window. I have no trouble relaxing and only write when I feel the urge.

    ReplyDelete