Tuesday 25 August 2015

Storm in a teacup: memoirs of a tea lady. Chapter 10




Chapter 10

I was merciless in my attempts to get mother out of her bed, where she’d taken refuge since winning the Tour de France.
          ‘I’m too young to be a tea lady,’ I argued.
          ‘Ten is a grand age to start being a tea lady,’ mother mumbled from beneath the bed-covers pulled over her head.
          Not relishing the idea of becoming a fully-fledged tea lady, I did handstands and cartwheels and pulled funny faces to try and cheer her up.  But it was to avail.
So I tried threats. ‘I’ll call the police.’
‘What good will they do, child?’
‘Lock you up,’ I heard myself say, realising that this course of action was inappropriate and foolish. It became apparent that I had no option but to follow my destiny, and become a tea lady at the tender age of ten. The youngest in Australia and, perhaps the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment