Friday 31 May 2013

"Many a Mistake has been made in the Name of Loneliness."



“Many a Mistake has been made in the Name of Loneliness.”
Never a truer word spoken and more so in Fiction writing which is densely populated with the lonely.  It’s a way of getting people to make mistakes and of moving the story forward while garnering the reader’s sympathy.  No one wants to read about an un-lonely person, well, not unless they’re a character in a crime novel and about to be murdered.
My number one all-time favourite and lonely fictional character, who epitomises the above quote, is the lonesome Quoyle, protagonist in the novel The Shipping News by Annie Proulx.  
One night, Quolye meets a woman, the ruinous Petal, in a bar. Thin moist hot. Winked at him.
Followed  by: 
As a hot mouth warms a cold spoon, Petal warmed Quoyle. He stumbled away from his rented trailer, his mess of dirty laundry and empty ravioli cans, to painful love, his heart scarred forever by tattoo needles pricking the name of Petal Bear.
                There was a month of fiery happiness. Then six kinked years of suffering.

Do you have a favourite fictional character whose life is blighted by loneliness?

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE this too! Great choice, Marlish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda. Reading about Quolye's life earlier on in the novel, is heartbreaking. Thank God Thank God, he finds love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly memorable book. Thanks for reminding us of poor, lonely Quolye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Felicity,yes, poor Quolye, and the way he was treated by Petal, is truly painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully expressed, Marlish! You've confirmed me in my belief that I MUST read this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you hvalsang!
    I thought The Shipping News was a splendid novel. As is Annie Proulx's anthology of short stories - Close Range - quite gritty though, with Broke Back Mountain being the cheeriest of the stories.
    I know many people don't like her idiosyncratic style of writing, it's quite unique. However, I’m a huge fan of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Shipping News is just about my favourite novel, Marlish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we're going to be friends for life Barbara! I adore the Shipping News. I've lost count of the number of times I've read or dipped into this novel just to savour the language and Proulx’s great wit. Chapter seven in which The Gammy Bird is introduced is hilarious. xx

    ReplyDelete