Tuesday 11 June 2013

Creepy and Maud - A Rewarding Read



Today will be a plain day.  I’m well acquainted with plain days.  They move  uneventfully along the conveyor belt of life.  In fact, they’re the days which kept the conveyor belt cogs oiled: washing clothes, cleaning the house, grocery shopping, paying bills, phone calls, filing away bank statements… but then it was while I was scrubbing our crusted up ole oven, thinking there has to be a reward for getting myself through another plain day. And there is!  And the end of this day, my plain monochromatic day is a book for me to finish reading,  Creepy and Maud by West Australian author Dianne Touchell. Fremantle Press. There is nothing plain about this book. Far from!  Promoted as being for Young Adults, I loved reading it despite the fact that the last time I looked in the mirror I was definitely middle-aged.  Creepy and Maud is a heart breaking yet uplifting book for all ages.   The prose is sensitive, poetic and humorous by turns. It’s worth going through a plain day when you’ve got a rather special reward waiting for you at the end of it – Creepy and Maud.

No comments:

Post a Comment