Friday 21 June 2013

When a Bookshop Closes



Two years ago I walked into my once favourite bookshop and asked the assistant, who’d I’d come to regard as a friend, for a book recommendation. She suggested The Twin by the Dutch author Gerbrand Bakker.  Given that I respected her opinion on books I bought the novel.
            My friend’s suggestion proved to be spot on. I loved reading, The Twin. It is Gerbrand Bakker’s second novel and 2010 winner of the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award.  To quote J.M. Coetzee it’s “A novel of restrained tenderness and laconic humour.’
            Over the years my once favourite bookshop had given me countless recommendations; countless wonderful books to read. But now my bookshop is no more. It closed last month.  More bookshops are closing. Where do readers go for book recommendations? How do I find the next great novel to read?  Blogs and Facebook are terrific sources, but they don’t know my tastes. My bookshop assistant friend did.  The death of a bookshop is cause for concern and sadness for all readers and writers. The cultural fabric of society frays. Shops not only sell, but they are places where people meet, chat, swap ideas, more especially in a special interest shop.  I certainly miss my bookshop. All within had become like family.With bookshops closing fast here in Australia, we're losing contact with people who love, what we love.
            Has anyone elses favourite bookshop disappeared? If so, how had this affected you, if at all?  And where do you go for book recommendations?
           

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is indeed sad when a bookshop closes. Unfortunately, it is the way the world is going, the first world anyway. Another loss of person-to-person communication. I'm a bit cynical about internet and goodreads recommendations -- I wonder if the publishers aren't paying for the privilege of being promoted. Nothing beats a good book suggestion from a trusted friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people are as yet really underestimating the increasing loss of person-to-person communication, and the subequent impact it'll have on people. As regards to good reads, I always think these reviews are wholly subjective. I tend to study the longlists for various literary awards, and which books keep popping up on them. One day, your novel Louise!

    ReplyDelete