Friday 28 October 2011

Washing Chickens

Ever have one of those mornings, like I did this morning, when you open up your washing machine to discover that your damp clothes have become infested with a million trillion minute participle of paper.  You curse to yourself, who left tissues in their pockets!
I call this highly annoying occupational hazard of being a domestic goddess: washing chickens. Or that it’s being snowing in my washing machine. Which puts me in mine of an excellent novel I’ve just finished reading by an English author AD Miller called Snowdrops. It‘s a superb physiological thriller set in modern Russia.
Russia seems to have become a byword for hardship and heartbreak, and no more evident than in Snowdrops.  Short listed for this year’s Man Booker Prize it’s a fascinating read, a truly insightful observation of contemporary Russia. I loved it.   Should be able to order this one from libraries.
Now I best get back to plucking a million participles of paper from my wet laundry.  Have a good day all!

8 comments:

  1. 3rd line down 'participle' is a linguistics term for a phrase that shares adjectival forms of verbs. 8th line down 'physiological' don't you mean psychological? and yes I always wanted to be a school teacher so I can correct everyone to demonstrate how I 'know' and they 'don't'. Now on a deeper note - 'whats the 'freudian slip' here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ms Moora Spelling Bee Queen 1948 ,
    Thank-god for grammar Nazi's. But what did you think of the blog? Ya bog.
    Buy for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cross your T's and dot your i's. And remember, in Law, incorrect useage of the apostrophe was responsible for sending a man to prison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ms Anonymous, thank-you for that piece of vital information. I shall write now with dictionary in one hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey, have I joined this blog only to set myself up to be harassed by the speling and gramma Nazi? Better watch out eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries about Ms Grammar Nazi,we'll just slap her back into her box. Importantly lets communicate about books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished reading Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Beautifully written life experience of the Dutch parliamentarian who grew up in Somalia and her experiences of Holland and the US. If your into politics/society/culture/religion/history and would like more insight into current global events surrounding Islam/Western culture. Was enjoyable for me to read about events in Holland as a result of my own cultural background. Not a book I would normally have chosen to read, but turns out, a beautiful interesting read. Now any errors in grammar I have duly noted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In case your confused, Nomad is Ayaan Hirsi Ali's version of washing chickens, which is why I blogged here rather than under What do we read and why?

    ReplyDelete